Need a last minute gift idea? Need to get it together right now using items you already have at home?
Great! Try this out…
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
What you’ll need:
- Ball jar, 2 cup sized with a lid (that’s a pint for those of you who, like me, can never remember. you can buy here)
- 1 cup pure cane sugar (bonus points if you have Fair Trade non-GMO)
- 1/2 cup cocoa (bonus points if you have Fair Trade)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (I get mine at Sprouts from the bulk spice area, read on if you don’t have it)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of salt
1. Add the ingredients to the jar.
2. Put lid on jar.
4. Label with these instructions, “Place 2 Tbsp in a mug. Add 3/4 cup hot milk. Stir and enjoy!” (If you didn’t have vanilla powder for the mix, instruct them to also add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract.)
5. For cool points, make a cute topper for the jar. For extra cool points, write out the recipe for your appreciative recipient. For over-the-top, best-friend EVER points, make a batch of marshmallows to go with the hot chocolate. (Just kidding. This is what I did for Laura and Mary so, of course, I need everyone to agree it was fabulous. I really just had to rid my house of the one-zillion marshmallows that were tempting me hourly.)
Easy Jar Topper
While of course this is optional, here’s how you can make your homemade gift even more awesome.
- Get some seasonal fabric.
- Place your lid on top.
- Measure out a square of fabric that holds approximately 2 lids side-by-side.
- Cut out square with pinking shears.
- Fold the square into a triangle and then into a smaller triangle. Cut the tips off the outer points.
- Place your octagon of fabric on top of the jar.
- Secure with a rubber band. Tie with ribbon if desired!
Voila! Holiday gift-giving complete!
What last minute gift ideas have you run across this season? We’d love to hear from you!