“Spring into balance” is an initiative guided by the friends at Good Not Perfect, Simplify, Live, Love, and some other guests who will be making thoughtful contributions over the upcoming weeks. This 10 week initiative is aimed at simplifying, finding time for yourself, and being happier. You can read about the 10 week project here. The first week’s homework is below.
Journal Entry: Highs/Lows of last week. What areas of life are in balance, and where do you feel out of balance?
Think of this as sort of a meditation. Scan your life and focus on any areas of discomfort. Shut your eyes and walk through the past week and note what you truly enjoyed the most and least (be specific). This doesn’t have to be a great work of literature – a simple list of the good and the not-so-good should suffice. And feel free to add to this list all week as you think of things.
You do NOT have to worry about changing anything yet. This is just increasing your awareness of the highs and lows in your existing routine. Do not beat yourself up, do not assign blame, do not try to change it today.
- Start a “Calendar of Sanity.” A an actual PAPER calendar for your next two months – have it out on the counter or bedside table and jot down every birthday party, holiday, hosting, gathering, work event, everything on one. This physical act of writing it down frees your brain to think about other things.
- If a thought comes into your head about something you need to do, write it down and let it go. Let it out by physically putting it on paper and freeing yourself from the worry of forgetting.
- Take a warm bath, do some yoga poses, or drink a hot tea or glass of wine (something you enjoy) in the evening, 2 nights.
- Daily: Get 8 hours of sleep.
- Unplug: Focus on this week and see what you could designate as a “shut off” time for media (the TV, the phone perpetually attached to your hand, your laptop – and all the Twittering, Facebooking, and Pinning that go along with these devices).
- Ultimate Guide to Unplugging (Graphic)
- Optional: Living Life Fully: Daily Meditations (Year 1) , 2 evenings ($2.99 Kindle eBook at the time of this post)
Send us your journal entries if you want a proverbial “Gold Star” or pat on the back and don’t forget to post pictures of any of these homework assignments, with the hashtag “#Springintobalance.”
We are going to take turns letting you peek into our weekly journals so we can hold each other accountable and share in the journey together. If you would like to publish any of your journal entries, we will gladly link up your posts, so please send us an email (laura<at>goodnotperfect<dot>com and michelle<at>simplifylivelove<dot>com).
Joining late? No problem! Proceed to Week 2 here.