This 10 week initiative from Good Not Perfect and Simplify, Live, Love is aimed at simplifying, finding time for yourself, and being happier. You can read about the 10 week project here and here.
We’re moving on this week from reflection to “making time.” Hopefully the last few weeks you’ve dialed back the activities a bit, started to reflect on priorities, and identified some low hanging fruit for things you can cut out of your day (things that are neither super important nor super enjoyable). If you haven’t joined us, here’s all you need to know to catch up: There are 168 hours in a week, and we’re working hard to give two of these hours to ourselves. You can read the prior weeks’ journal assignments:
- Week 1 – Taking Inventory – We took 30 minutes and reflected on the highs and lows of our week. Mary shared her journal with us.
- Week 2 – Reflection – We took a few minutes to think about what we would do with three hours “duty free,” and Colleen shared her journal with us.
- Week 3 – Reflection – We took a few minutes to think about what we would like to learn more about, and Emily shared her journal with us.
Week 4 – Journal entry (Making Time) – What things are non-negotiable … e.g. absolutely has to be done every week?
Make this in a list format. After you make that list, take it and overlay it onto this week’s calendar. Keep a list of what you want to accomplish on each day (not in your head, get it out on paper). Schedule nothing on one day. This should help you avoid wasted time and get your priorities structured. It also relieves pressure from you on certain days letting you know it’s okay to “stop” on the to-do list and simply relax. This is the opposite of “why put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” With menial chores it is perfectly acceptable to put things off.
Week 4 Homework:
- Continue Week 3 tasks.
- (New) Delegate one weekly task to someone else in the house (or mother’s helper).
- Start going to bed 30-45 minutes earlier and getting up 30 minutes earlier.
Week 4 Readings:
- Article: Living 10 Minutes at a Time
- Optional: Living Life Fully: Daily Meditations (Year 1) , 2 evenings ($2.99 Kindle eBook at the time of this post)
Watch: Morning Makeover (Today Show) – What the Most Successful People do Before Breakfast
Click on this link if above video doesn’t work: What Successful People Do Before Breakfast
What do you think about the strategy of getting up in the morning before other people “need you” and taking some time for yourself? Feel free to share any thoughts on this week’s subject in the comments below.
Don’t forget to post pictures of any of these homework assignments, with the hashtag “#Springintobalance” and this week #unplug, #drinkmorewater, #earlytobed. You can follow us on Instagram here and here.